Year shipped: 1934
Headstock: Horizontal ‘The Gibson’ logo
Neck/fingerboard: See Notes below
Body: Maple back and sides
Hardware: The Grover G98 Sta-Tite tuners were removed but have since been reinstalled – see Notes below
Notes: The fingerboard, nut and bridge have been replaced (the original bridge is in the case). The original fingerboard would likely have had block inlays. The tail piece is original, but the cross-bar section has been replaced. The long bound pickguard, which has begun to deteriorate, has been cut to accommodate a pickup and a section has been replaced
The original owner, Oliver ‘Ollie’ Mathewson, purchased the guitar in 1934 in Buffalo.
See document (below) from Dana Mathewson for list of musicians that the guitar’s original owner ‘Ollie’ Mathewson, played with.
Images courtesy of Pete Wagener, LaVonne Music